|Deliverables||1000 words (excluding reference list and title page).|
|Due date||Monday, March 28 , 11:59pm. Start of Week 5|
|Marking criteria||See link in ‘Assessment Overview’ Page, in the CUC106 Learnline site.
The listed criteria represent the highest standard achievement.
|Task overview||In this assignment you will present research into a potential design project in Mayukwayukwa , Zambia based on one of the EWB (Engineers Without Borders) Challenge design areas. It will include background information, design research, and identify a possible design solution.
Through this research you will be enabled to contribute well informed ideas about the logistics of one possible project option. You will bring these ideas with you when forming a design team in Week 5, which will assist you and your team to decide which project will be a viable one.
Your assignment should contain the following:
· A title that describes the specifics of the project you are exploring. It should contain: the area context of the design (e.g. Mayukwayukwa, Zambia), the issue being addressed, the design you are suggesting, and the scale of the project (e.g. household or village level).
e.g. ‘Using an improved biogas design to provide a clean source of cooking energy for households in Mayukwayukwa, Zambia.’
· Justification of the project with background information about the context (including the place Mayukwayukwa and why there is a need for the design )
· Research informing the possibilities for the design. This is where you sum up relevant information for your project found in three credible references. (These should provide information on existing solutions and technology, materials, and cultural or regional geography.) At least two of these must be found using the CDU library databases, not including the EWB Design Brief.
· A potential design solution with a simple sketch.
Body of Assignment
|Use the following guide to structure your assignment:
· Title Page
o Design project title
o Your name and student number
· Body of Assignment
· Marking criteria
Your assignment should include the following sections which should be numbered as indicated.
In one or two sentences describe the purpose of this assignment.
For example: This assignment will investigate a design response to water sanitation problems in the Mayukwayukwa refugee settlement, Zambia. It will provide a justification for a design, research informing the design and a description of a possible design solution.
2.0 Project justification:
One or two paragraphs that set the scene for your project and why it is necessary. This must have a detailed description of the issue or problem your design is looking to address. Make it clear that you understand the current situation and the requirements of the community. Describe who in the community the design is for, and what they are doing currently with regard to the issue/problem, and what needs to be improved and why. You should include references to back this up. (NB Much of your information for this section will be sourced from the EWB website but you may seek further information elsewhere. Ensure you use in-text referencing where required.)
3.0 Preliminary research summary:
Find three relevant, credible sources (at least 2 from the CDU library database and not the EWB Design Brief) that tell you more about the problem, the region, technology in the design area, or designs that have already been tried. Then summarise and comment on each of the sources of information you have chosen and present these in the form of an annotated bibliography, as follows:
For each source, write approximately 200 words containing:
· a summary of the source’s main points that relate to your design area (paragraph 1 – summary);
· followed by an explanation of how this information will help you develop a suitable design (paragraph 2 – relevance).
(NB In-text referencing not required in this section.)
4.0 Design concept
Start with a brief overview of one potential design and how it could solve the problem related to your design area.
(Recall, design areas are selected from the EWB guide on design areas).
For example: This design for a water purification system offers a solution to improve water sanitation in the Mayukwayukwa refugee settlement. By providing a water purifier for each individual household water borne diseases in the community will be greatly reduced.
4.1 Description and sketch
Briefly describe the design: its structure and parts and how it would work. Include in-text references where necessary.
For example: The water purify consists of a simple clay cooking pot modified to include a spout and materials for filtering the water, as shown in Figure 1.
The filter materials consist of locally sourced charcoal and sand. The spout made of bamboo is inserted into the bottom of the pot as indicated. The lid consists of a heavy piece of cloth (in-text reference).
Provide a labelled sketch of the design.
4.2 Issues for further Investigation
List the main questions or issues that need to be investigated further in order to develop your design into an appropriate solution. These could be economic, environmental, technical, or cultural issues.
A conclusion should sum up the information you have provided in this document.
6.0 Reference List
Compile a reference list in APA format including your research summary sources as well as any other references that you have used and cited in the document.
|Formatting||Your document needs to be presented professionally, using the following format (look up Microsoft ‘Help’ for formatting instructions):
· Single document, MS Word.
· Margins: Top & Bottom (3.00cm), Left & Right (2.50cm)
· Body text: Times New Roman, 12pt size, left alignment with 1.5 line spacing.
· Paragraph spacing: 0pt ‘before’ and 12pt ‘after’.
· A header and/or footer should be included, with details of the unit code, Assignment number, and your name.