For Assessment 2, students will be required to write 1,500-word essay on one of set group of topics identified in the Assessment 2 Essay Handout. Review the Assessment 2 Essay Handout for details.
For this task, students are required to develop an essay outline addressing the following points:
This outline is used to ensure students have clearly identified the essay topic, have an understanding of the essay goals and outcomes and understand the research and analysis requirements for authoring the essay.
Students must also be prepared to discuss their essay topic and address any relevant questions from the lecturer.
The essay outline will be submitted through a wiki, blog or relevant online submission portal.
Assessment 2 – Essay
Essays test a student’s ability to assess information, formulate arguments, and critically evaluate different alternatives to issues or problems.
In this assessment students must write a 1500-word essay on one of the following topics:
1. Employee engagement is a global issue, with levels of below 30percent being reported globally. Discuss what factors contribute to employee engagement and how HR can take a strategic role in enhancing employee engagement.
2. What is HR’s role in performance management and performance appraisal and how can this role assist organisations to achieve strategic goals?
3. Downsizing aims to achieve greater organisational efficiency by job elimination however there are often negative outcomes from a poorly designed and implemented policy and approach.
The precise wording and scope of the essay should be discussed and agreed with the subject coordinator by the end of Week Eight.
Students are required to undertake the following in conducting students analysis:
1. Refer to and apply relevant models, concepts, theories and literature in the field of human resource management.
2. Students are expected to incorporate relevant research and theory from the broader human resources literature (e.g., journal articles and/or books), not just the text and course materials (in addition to ‘other’ sources, students r reference list should include a minimum of three journal articles)
Essay Section Headings
The essay submission must be developed with section headings as listed below with the relevant content, research and analysis included under each heading:
• Background of topic identified
• Arguments for and against selected topic
• Applicability of approach
• Impact of concepts of selected topic
• Examples of selected topic dilemmas explained
• Analysis of how HR value adds or manages the selected topic
• Relevant models, concepts, theories and literature in the field of human resources
• Supporting research and theory from human resource management literature, journals, etc.