Part 1 Group academic report
Word count: 1,000 words maximum
Due Week 5 of term on Friday at 2PM AEST.
You will need to form groups as early in the term as possible for both parts of Assessment 0.
The purpose of this assessment is to provide students with the opportunity to work collaboratively with colleagues to prepare a group presentation and written report that reflects a real business communication issue. You are to choose a real business communication issue that interests you and will assist you with Part 2 of Assessment 0: Group presentation. Please ensure that you read both parts of the assessments before starting part 1.
Your chosen business issue must have a theoretical model as its basis, for example Berlo’s Model. Your task is to write about the relationship between the business issue you have chosen and your chosen model. You will need to introduce concepts, relevant theories and models of communication which you must define and reference and then apply to your chosen communication issue so that the issue can be solved.
As this will be an academic report you will need to correctly reference your work, both in-text and in the reference list using APA referencing. On-campus students should take advantage of any workshops provided by the Academic Learning Centre with regards to writing and speaking English, delivering oral presentations and academic writing to name just a few topics.
Only one copy of the report can be uploaded and it must clearly identify all members of the group,
with full name (as appears on University enrolment) and student numbers. Multiple submissions of
the same report can trigger academic misconduct or plagiarism investigations but all group members must have contributed equally to the report. You can use headings and sub-headings within the report to make it easier for markers to read and mark and to reflect report format. You must include a reference list with at least 10 academic references, therefore you will need to do a lot of research to find journal articles published after 2010.
Due Week 5 of term on Friday at 2PM AEST.
Part 2 Group academic presentation
You are to prepare a PowerPoint presentation and to record this with your voice over using the real business
communication issue that you researched in Part 1 of Assessment 0: Group academic essay. Based on feedback
received from Part 1, you can make any changes that you feel are necessary for your presentation.
For all students, the Moodle submission of your PowerPoint file with voiceover will be due at 2 pm
AEST Friday Week 8.Students can record their presentation through PowerPoint’s “Record Slide
Show” function, and submit their PowerPoint file (with recording) through the Unit Moodle website.
Students may prefer to use other technologies such as Zoom or Camtasia. One copy of the
presentation can be uploaded and it must clearly identify all members of the group, with full name
(as appears on University enrolment) and student numbers. Multiple submissions of the same
report can trigger academic misconduct or plagiarism investigations.
However, on campus students will also deliver their presentation in a regularly scheduled class
from Week 8 onwards, depending on their local lecturer/tutor’s scheduling. Distance students will
be asked to present during a weekly Zoom session from Week 8 onwards in their Thursday session or if you are not available at that time, at a time which is mutually convenient.
This is pass fail activity.
Due Week 8 of term on Friday at 2PM AEST.
· You do not need to read the in-text referencing or references on the slides when recording your voice for the PPT presentation.
· When recording, you should use a headset with microphone preferably or speak loudly if you use the inbuilt microphone on your laptop/computer. Please make sure your voice is clear, can be heard and understood when playing the Powerpoint slides BEFORE you upload your work into Moodle.
· The Powerpoint slides and Word script will need to be uploaded in Moodle under the “Assessment 0: Part 2” link.
· Do NOT insert your audio as a .wav file into the slides because we will not be able to hear you if it is not embedded in the file. To check if it works, you could send your PPT file to a friend and see if they can hear it. Please do not send to the Lecturer or Unit Co-ordinator to check.
· For hints on how to convert a PowerPoint slide to a presentation with voice over, please view the link below. Adding
· Voice Over to PowerPoint Presentations in 5 Easy Steps:
· Turnitin will most likely not be able to process your file, so it is up to you to ensure you have referenced all ideas both on the slides and in the reference list.
This presentation should be less than 15 minutes and use only 7 PowerPoint slides with bullet points. The slides should follow this structure:
1. Title of presentation, student names as shown in Moodle plus student ID numbers
3. Real business issue that the group is addressing
4. Communication model used
5. Solving the issue
7. Reference list only for those references used in your slides.
Part 1. Key criteria:
Use of the APA referencing to correctly cite all sources used.
Ability to prepare and present a formal business report.
Demonstrate a breadth and quality of research by using a minimum of 10 academic sources from recommended texts and journal articles published after 2010.
The ability to use conceptual models as the basis for analysing the relevant communication and/or organisational issue. Demonstration of understanding of relevant communication models and concepts in relation to effective communication. Definition of key communication concepts and terms. Title page with student names as shown in Moodle plus student ID numbers Please refer to the Moodle website for marking rubrics for each piece of this assessment.
Part 2. Key criteria:
· Ability to prepare and deliver a formal business presentation that involves all members of the group and conveys the critical information required.
· Ability to utilise appropriate audio-visual and other media to enhance communication.
· Deliver the presentation within the prescribed time.
· Use of the APA referencing to correctly cite all sources used.
· Please refer to the Moodle website for marking rubrics for each piece of this assessment.
As Masters students you are required to engage in research as per the Australia Quality Framework (AQF) guidelines.
Students need to demonstrate “a body of knowledge that includes the understanding of recent developments in a discipline and/or area of professional practice, and demonstrate “knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to a field of work and/or learning”. Each unit in the MBA has a number of required weekly readings in terms of academic texts, journals and business
publications that represent the appropriate body of knowledge and recent developments referred to by the AQF. In order to demonstrate the ability to engage in appropriate research, students should read and utilise these texts and journals and publications, and as Masters students, indicate a willingness to research beyond this minimum standard through additional texts, journals and studies that demonstrate an ability to engage in independent research.
Students should insure that they understand the specific research that is required for each assessment piece and recognise that if they meet this minimum requirement, you will receive the minimum grade for demonstrated research. Your attention is drawn to the University’s stated position on plagiarism. THE WORK OF OTHERS, WHICH IS INCLUDED IN THE ASSIGNMENT MUST BE ATTRIBUTED TO ITS SOURCE (a full list of references must be submitted as part of the assessment).
Assessment Title Self-reflection Essay: Interpersonal Communication.
The purpose of this assessment is to provide students with the opportunity to engage in reflective practice, using a range of diagnostic tools and feedback, so as to identify two key areas of personal capability that can be addressed (improved) so an to increase their communication effectiveness.
This assignment has three specific components.
1. Diagnosis and Reflection. 1000 words
a) Using a minimum of 5 diagnostic tools related to communication, such as the Johari Window, Communications Style Questionnaire, Assertiveness Questionnaires etc., you are to analyse your own communication style across various areas such as verbal communication, active listening, non- verbal, assertiveness perception etc. see Weeks 1 and 2 in The Schedule and also you can base this on your reflection from the first assessment of your oral and written presentation.
b) You are to present the findings of the tools and identify 2 of your key communication issues that you have identified as requiring development.
c) Reflect on two recent professional interactions that you have had within the past 12 months. Analyse these interactions from the perspective of the two key communication issues that are identified as requiring development.To what extent are these evident and support the need for personal communication development?
2.Literature review 1000 words
You are to identify and explain the two issues from your diagnosis and reflection. You are to define the concepts, outline key models and or behaviours that need to be developed so as to demonstrate effective practice. This literature review needs to outline both the conceptually (theoretical) and behavioural (interpersonal skills) that you need to acquire to demonstrate competence in your chose area of communication.
3. Action Plan 500 words
As a conclusion you are to develop an action plan of key events and activities that you can undertake over the next 6 months to acquire the knowledge, skills and behaviours identified as requiring development in component 1. This can include the following:
· undertaking specific short courses, to develop skills (must be actual courses),
· undertaking advanced post graduate communication courses at CQU or other institutions,
· a reading plan to acquire conceptual knowledge, that may include specific communication texts and self-help books (must be specified),
· maintaining of personal journals reflecting on communication interactions,
· Identification of a mentor (evidence must be provided).
This section must include actionable items with timelines (such as a Gantt chart) and an indication of how you will measure their successful completion.
Refer to the Moodle website for marking rubrics for this assessment.
This is a summative assessment so marks will not be released until after Certification of Grades.Order Now