Description of the task.
Part 1 – You should prepare a 1500 word report on the topic of the effectiveness of work and organisation at the
NHS. Your task is to research the effectiveness of work and organisation at the NHS using good quality academic
and journalistic sources. Please see the links in the assessment section of MOODLE where there are articles on work organisation, leadership, culture, teamwork and inequality at the NHS. You should consider a range of views and seek to integrate them into a coherent argument. This may be informed by good quality journalistic sources but, more importantly, you must also show considerable evidence of using good quality ‘peer reviewed journal articles.
The key topics which you should include in your report on the effectiveness work and organisation at the NHS are:
Organisational context – The impact of globalisation and political, economic, social and other external factors.
• The rational and social organisation,
• Power and politics
• organisational Culture
You will not need to draw on all organisational behaviour theories that you read but should select instead those
which are most applicable to the NHS. It is more important to show knowledge of key debates within the
literature on organisational behaviour, to be critical in your writing and to ensure a good level of integration
and coherence than to include all theories. Please work on the level of criticality and the coherence and flow of
your report. This will require effective discussion and debate.
Part 2 – Personal Reflections on Employability, including group work (1500 words) You should write a reflection on what you have learned about the nature of employment in undertaking the People and Organisations module. In this reflection, you should make reference to any organisational behaviour literature that is relevant. You may address the following key themes in your analysis:
1. What types of organization would most engage and motivate you? Why would you be more productive
in these organizations? Compare and contrast with other organisations where you would be less engaged and productive. You might in your reflections draw on the literature on leadership, classical approaches to organisation, human relations and contemporary approaches to organisational behaviour, culture and motivation.
2. You should include a reflection on your experience of group work. Do not just describe your experience
of working in a group but situate your reflection within the wider literature on groups and teams.
3. You might also reflect on how the literature on identity, motivation, personality and emotions relate to your experience of work.
4. What are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes to employment?
5. How will you address your weaknesses? What targets will you set for your development? The emphasis should be on a critical evaluation, not on self-promotion. Try to identify strengths and weaknesses, and areas for personal development informed by the literature on organisational behaviour.