PM303 Strategic Management Spring
Posted on September 27, 2022 by Cheapest Assignment
Word Limit: 2500 words (Plus or minus 10%)
Learning outcomes assessed:
- Critically examine the relationship and the need for compatibility between corporate strategic and functional management policies.
- Analyse the internal and external influences on corporate objectives and strategy.
- Demonstrate the need for flexibility in strategic management and the practical limits of quantifying corporate strategy.
This coursework is worth 50% of the total marks for this module.
Please read carefully
- Carefully read the module handbook, the marking criteria and the grade descriptors.
- The format is individual report.
- All the analysis required should be conducted based on information gathered from credible, accurate and valid sources rather than information based on student’s individual opinion or experience. Academic opinion and commentary from industry experts may all be utilised to aid evaluation and justify selection. Please consult
class notes and key texts such as Johnson et al. (2014) regarding these strategic concepts of the company.
You are responsible for ensuring you understand the policy and regulations about academic misconduct. You must:
- Complete this work alone except where required or allowed by this assignment briefing paper and ensure it has not been written or composed by or with the assistance of any other person.
- Make sure all sentences or passages quoted from other people’s work in this assignment (with or without trivial changes) are in quotation marks, and are specifically acknowledged by reference to the author, work and page.
This assignment requires students to conduct a strategic analysis of both the internal and external environment relating to a retail company (Please choose any from the given below). Students should also provide a critique of
contemporary strategic management research and practice within the report.
Strategic Report to Board of Directors
- Executive Summary
Provide a concise summary of the key issues identified within the report. (10 marks)
- Strategic Purpose
a. Identify the strategic purpose of the organisation in terms of its mission, vision and corporate values. (5 marks)
b. Critically examine the relationship and compatibility between strategic statements and functional objectives of the company. (10 marks)
- External Analysis
Conduct both of the following tasks
3.1. Analyse the broad macro-environment of the company in terms of political, economic, social, technological, ecological and legal factors. Discuss threats and opportunities in order for the company to gain
sustainable competitive advantage. (15 marks)
3.2. Utilize Porter’s Five Forces analysis in order to define the attractiveness of the industry and the market of your choice and to identify potentials for change. (15 marks)
- Internal Analysis Strategic Capabilities
Explain what comprises strategic capabilities in terms of organisational resources and competences and how these relate to the strategies of the company. (15 marks)
- Basis of Competitive Strategy
Describe the business level strategy of the strategic business unit (SBU) in the UK though the use of The Porter’s Generic Strategies Framework and critically evaluate how the SBU has established and defended its strategic position against its competitors. (10 marks)
- Conclusion and recommendations
Conduct an overall summary of the strategic issues facing the selected company and evaluate how the selected company can, make the most of their strengths, circumvent weaknesses, capitalize on opportunities and manage their threats. (10 marks)
- Referencing (10 marks)