Assessment Weighing: 100%
Maximum 2,500 words ±10%
Excluding Cover Page, Table of Contents, Bibliography and Appendices
Learning Outcomes To Be Examined In This Assessment
LO1: Critically examine the relationship and the need for compatibility between corporate strategic and functional
LO2: Analyse the internal and external influences on corporate objectives and strategy.
LO3: Demonstrate the need for flexibility in strategic management and the practical limits of quantifying corporate
Percentage Of Marks Awarded For Module
50% of the total marks for the module
Explanatory comments on the assessment criteria
Maximum marks for each section
Knowledge & Understanding of Subject
• High level of knowledge and understanding of the given concepts and frameworks of strategic management evident
in accurate analysis and identification of strategic capabilities and macro-environmental factors of the selected
• Shows an awareness of the ambiguities and limitations of knowledge evident in the evaluation of the strengths and
weaknesses of the given strategic management frameworks
• Substantial evidence of well-executed independent research evident through a bibliographical analysis, up-to-date
• Relevant data and examples, all properly referenced.
• Successful application of Harvard Referencing throughout
• Consistent analysis and evaluation of sources
Cognitive & Intellectual Skills
• Very high standard of critical analysis on future strategic choices of the company evident in consistency and logical
line of reasoning in recommendations. Future strategic choices are justified clearly and logically. All the evidence
provided within the report.
• Clearly structured and logically developed content.
• Excellent evaluation and synthesis of sources.
Graduate Skills for life and Employment indicated by
• Excellent presentation skills evident in format and structure
• Technology skills that contribute to effective execution of referencing, heading/subheading and table of contents
• High ethical standards evident in excellent implementation of referencing and Turnitin score does not exceed the
upper limit overall
• Research, discovery, and information retrieval skills and a general capacity to use information evident in refined
content from external sources through paraphrasing and summarising
• Analytical skills evident in applying the given frameworks in a real life situation
• The capacity for critical, conceptual and reflective thinking evident in arguments developed and recommendations
• Decision-making in complex and unpredictable context evident in consistent and logically reasoned future strategy
analysis of the company
• Presentation skills
• Employability Skills Self-Assessment Survey (Self-assessment/monitoring of the transferrable skills)
With a three million-strong workforce, and year-on-year growth, the retail sector is a significant contributor to the UK
economy. Between 2016 and 2020, the retail sector workforce is projected to grow by 54,800.
In some parts of the world, the retail business is dominated by smaller family-run or regionally-targeted stores, but
this market is increasingly being taken over by billion-******** multinational conglomerates like Wal-Mart and Sears.
And yet, as the leading retailing players are increasingly seeking for opportunities to expand their global presence
and are investing heavily in driving internet retailing sales, numerous local British retail companies have been
successfully competing with their global competitors in the UK Market such as Morrisons, Ocado and Card Factory.
You have been hired by a local British retail company (Either Morrisons, Card Factory or Ocado) as a consultant in
order to develop a market entry and business level strategy plan into the Chinese market. You are expected to write a
report to summarize your research findings on the given tasks below.
1. Analyse and demonstrate an understanding of the external environment in the Chinese market: Opportunities,
threats, industry competition, and competitor analysis. (25 marks)
2. Identify the firm’s resources and determine the potential of the firm’s capabilities and competencies in terms of a
competitive advantage in the Chinese market. (15 marks)
3. Reframe the vision statement and the mission statement of the firm for the new strategic business unit in China.
Critically evaluate if the firm can continue with the current vision and mission statements in the new market. (20
4. In the light of the analysis done in Task 1, 2 and 3, construct a SWOT analysis of the company and recommend a
business-level international strategy for and market entry mode into the new market. (25 marks)
5. As a part of the assessment, all students should answer the Employability Skills Self-Assessment Survey (PM303-
ES-E16) in Week 1 and 10. (5 marks)
To access the survey (in Week 1): https://goo.gl/forms/jz4EFit6PiYd4tOC3
To access the survey (in Week 10): https://goo.gl/forms/6oQEnzbRn3mmia6k2
6. Referencing (Harvard) (10 marks)
1. The external environment affects the competition actions and responses firms take to outperform competitors and
earn above-average returns.
The External Environment