The food industry and its associated supply chain system has long been of strategic interest worldwide. In more recent times, global markets have forced the food industry to become internationally relocated to be able to satisfy customers. To achieve a higher rate of customer satisfaction one of the important factors that has to be considered is the supply chain infrastructure (including logistics), which needs be designed to meet objectives such as costs, quality and responsiveness. For this assignment, complete an analytical review of the supply chain system of ONE major food industry player. What is the approach of this company in channels of distribution? How has it benefited them? Then also complete an analytical review of the supply chain system
adopted in ONE non-food industry. For example, the oil and gas industry or the fashion industry, but you can also select other
industries. Write up your analytical review for either ONE of your selected organisations. See the list of specific questions to address below – the Assignment Questions. Then compare the specifics of the supply chain systems of the two organisations.
Note choose only TWO organisations to illustrate your answer. Please let your tutor know the two organisations that you have
chosen – ideally every student selects two organisations that differ from the selections of the other students. If a student finds that there is insufficient information available for
their chosen organisation(s), with the tutor’s agreement, the student can change their selection of organisation(s).
Your report should include the following requirements for either ONE of your organisations:-
1) Explain the importance of effective supply chain management in achieving the organisation’s business objectives.
2) Explain the link between supply chain management and the business functions within the organisation.
3) Discuss the key drivers for achieving an integrated supply chain strategy within this organisation. How can you use key drivers to
achieve efficiency and responsiveness?
4) Evaluate the effectiveness of strategies used by the organisation to maintain supplier relationships.
5) Assess how information technology could assist/assists in integrating different parts of the supply chain of this organisation, and how information technology has contributed to the management of the supply chain for this organisation. Then:
6) Compare the supply chains of the TWO organisations. How are they similar and how do they differ?
Learning Outcomes Knowledge
On completion of this module the successful student will be able to:
1. demonstrate an understanding of the impact of the supply chain on an enterprise;
2. understand the major components of a supply chain;
3. possess an awareness of current supply chain topics.
This module will call for the successful student to:
4. critically evaluate specific supply chains;
5. critically discuss supply chain topics;
6. model a supply chain;
7. demonstrate an understanding of the analysis required to support making decisions on the use of resources within a supply chain.