1. Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding: a critical appreciation of care and equality polices and how political reform is welcomed or contested by user movements
2. Demonstrate the following skills and abilities: apply critical perspectives to evaluate social care policy
What am I required to do in this assignment?
You will develop a PowerPoint Presentation based on a specific disability issue being challenged by a protest group or user movement. In the notes section of each slide, you will expand on key points and demonstrate advanced knowledge and understanding of key issues. Submit the PowerPoint presentation to grade centre and you also have to submit detailed notes with the PowerPoint slides. These notes must reflect what you would have spoken had you been standing in front of an audience. The notes should be structured according to your slides i.e., each note of each slide should reflect what you would say in the oral presentation if you were presenting each slide. The notes should be presented in the notes section of the Power-Point. Please see the unit’ breo ‘Assessment& Feedback’ shell for a video on how to add notes on PowerPoint. If you are unable to add notes in the notes section of a PowerPoint, you can put a ‘notes slide’ after each presentation slide. For example, slide 1 presentation slide, slide 2 notes narrating what you would have said about slide 1 presentation slide, slide 3 presentation slide, slide 4 notes speaking to slide 3 and so on.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF) In order to pass the assignment, you will need to:
Select a specific disability issue challenged by a protest or user group and account for the impact protest has had on reform.
Identify the broad and specific impact of disablism on the social and cultural context for disabled people
Use knowledge of current policy and practice to assess its role in relation to an issue affecting disabled people
Drawing on appropriate up-to-date academic sources, analyse and evaluate the extent to which related policies and current service provision meets the needs of the disabled people, making recommendations for progressive change.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade? Develop and submit a written PowerPoint Presentation that includes the following pointers:
• Choose a protest or user movement group.
• Choose a disability issue challenged by the chosen protest or user movement group
• Discuss how the protest or user movement group has had an impact on recent reforms related to the issue selected (and/or related to issues similar to the issues selected)
• Identify the broad and specific impact of disablism on social and cultural context for disabled people (generally and specifically related to your selected issue)
• Assess the impact that policy has had in relation to the issue selected affecting disabled people (and/or related to issues similar to the issues selected)
• In the notes section on each slide expand on key points showing advanced knowledge and understanding
• Analyse the extent to which related and relevant policies and current service provision meets the needs of disabled people facing the issue selected, make recommendations for progressive change.
• Reference throughout presentation and provide a reference list at the end of your presentation.