Words – 1500
Value: 30% ( 30 Marks)
This assessment is designed to help you develop an awareness of leadership behaviour, and the application of leadership theory, to scenarios in a feature film.
You are required to select a role of a leader from any ONE of the following films and write the critique.
• Apollo 13 (1995)
• Coach Carter (2005)
• Invictus (2009)
Your essay should contain the following sections.
1. A brief introduction outlining the key facts in the selected film.
2. A brief description of the selected leader’s character and the leadership style.
3. A brief review of the selected leadership model (see point 2 of the marking criteria).
4. Application of the reviewed model in 3 above to the film to critique the (a) leader and follower/s behaviour, and (b) the contextual factors in the film.
5. A conclusion containing your views on how changing the role of the leader and follower/s behaviour, and the contextual situation in the film could lead to effective leadership outcomes.
6. References in Harvard Style Referencing
Some films portray various leader behaviours and leadership messages are conveyed through the story, the roles that key people play, the portrayal of the contexts, and through the dramatic presentation of the film’s theme. You are required to critique the leadership messages inherent in a feature film. The questions below may provide some assistance when planning for this assignment:
• What is the leader’s history and how might it have affected his/her concept of leadership?
• What is the vision of the leader?
• What leadership messages are evident in the leader?
• How does the leader make decisions and solve problems?
• How do the stakeholders view the selected leader’s leadership behaviour?
• What effect does the context have on leadership decision and outcomes?