Some commentators have argued that as a consequence of globalisation, ‘the human world today has become so mobile, so interconnected and so integrative that it is, in one prominent and much repeated assessment, “flat”’ (De Blij 2009, preface).
For this essay you are asked to address the question “Is the world becoming flatter?”
In addressing the question write a 1500 word paper that examines the key concepts of globalisation in human geography (i.e. homogenisation, polarisation and glocalisation). In developing your position, your essay should draw on specific examples from topics and themes discussed in the first half of the unit (you may use examples from media, images and/or other popular references to detail your examples).
Refer to the tutorial exercises concerning this assessment
(Chapters 1 and 2)
Marking Criteria Feedback
Introduction (20 marks)
– Introduce the concept of globalisation
– State your thesis (take a position)
Concepts (20 marks)
– Define globalisation
– Demonstrate an understanding of homogenisation, polarisation and glocalisation
– Draw on scholarly sources
Discussion (30 marks)
– Present and discuss specific examples of homogenisation, polarisation and glocalisation
– Relate your discussion to the question of globalisation and “flat world”.
Conclusion (10 marks)
– Provide a working answer to the question: Is the world becoming flatter?
– Summarise your key points
– Point out any limitations or gaps
Referencing & citation of sources (consistent referencing style; appropriate referencing of statistics, tables and arguments) (10 marks)
Mark for Writing (10 marks)